Thursday, January 14, 2016

KITCHEN CABINETS - PART 3

Before we get to “the right cabinet” I am proud to say that my Christmas dishes and glasses are packed away in their boxes and the boxes put back in the basement gas meter closet. The items which were displaced to in both the left and right cabinets are now back where they belong.

The right cabinet is called same as it hangs to the right of the sink.  It is the same size and shape as the left cabinet and is also 4 shelves in height. 

The bottom shelf contains a hodge podge of items.  I have the glasses we use for every day - 2 short, wide plastic ones for my husband and 2 tall, thin glass ones for me.  Generally one of each is in the dishwasher, but when they are put away, this is where they “live”.  I also have measuring cups.  I have 2 each of liquid 1 cup and 2 cup measuring cups and 2 sets of dry measuring cups.  I also have a larger size 1 cup measurer (meaning there is more space at the top above the cup) which is good for mixing 1 cup items in as it does not run over the top.  I also have a “shot glass” (1 oz) measuring glass that allows measurements of small amounts of liquid - by 1/4 oz increments or teaspoons.

I have a spare set of soup bowls to my everyday dishes here also. The company changed the size and shape of same and when I complained about needing to replace a couple of bowls and not being able to get matching ones, they sent me 8 bowls.  I am waiting until I break over half of the original bowls and then will switch them - 2 bowls to go.   I have 2 larger bowls that match nothing which I keep in here and we use for salad at dinner. 

I have funnels in here in 3 different sizes, one of which is a canning funnel with a larger out spout than the others - great for pouring tomato sauce, gravy and the like into a small pitcher or gravy bowl without making a mess.  Two glass ice cream glasses and some plastic glasses (no breakable glasses are allowed upstairs and no food).  The smaller 2 of the plastic glasses have lids which clip on and a straw hole in the lids.

The second shelf up has the glasses which match my dishes - stemmed and goblet, 8 of each.  These are the glasses that I plan to donate to make room for our “good glasses” to move from the living room secretary so husband can put more DVDs there.  It also has the bottom cup part of my stick mixer (the part for grinding and such). 

The next shelf up has my middle set of dishes - not the everyday, but not the good china.  (It is ironstone).  It is not stored in quilted dish storage containers and can be used whenever I want it.  In the past when we had people in, I would use it for smaller groups as it is service for 8.  Similar to my everyday dishes, the cups hang from hooks at the top of the shelf.  The matching sugar bowl, bowl and platter are on the shelf with the dishes.  The matching milk pitcher is on the shelf above as the handle broke on it and I can’t use it until we fix it.  The dishes were a set and that is why I have the matching service pieces.  Again, I need to climb up to reach this shelf as I needed to do to reach the same shelf on the left side.

The top shelf has, other than the milk pitcher mentioned, items I rarely if ever use.  Again, similar to the left side, I need to climb onto the counter to reach this shelf.  It has the juice glasses that match the glasses which match our dishes, a footed cake plate, a mold for making ice pops and 2 cylinder shaped pitchers.  I think I can get rid of everything on this shelf  when I get rid of the glasses below. 

There you have it.  The contents of 2 of my 4 kitchen cabinets.  During the week I plan to store the good china used for Christmas and New Year’s Eves by my husband and myself.  I will also start taking down the Christmas trees after Monday.  I think I have found a new place to store the tree ornaments and other decorations in the house in the basement, rather than the garage.  It will be interesting to see if they fit and where what is currently in that space will go.

See you next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment