Thursday, February 8, 2018

NO MATTER WHAT ONE DOES - IT CAN GO WRONG

This week was to be a busy one for me.  I was suppose to give a talk at my embroidery chapter meeting - today, Wednesday, and I also had to go to the same client again as she will going out of town and I have to do her books for February.  And we had to go and take money from husband’s IRA to pay bills.
       
I spent the evenings the past week working on the talk about the history of embroidery samplers.  I made an outline of what I wanted to say, both so I would not forget anything and would not wander - I tend to wander even more when I speak than I do when I write.  I checked information that I knew, just to make sure I remembered it correctly.  I searched for photos of samplers online to download and print out to show and pass around at the meeting, both to explain what I was saying, and because I knew the ladies in my group would love to see them - probably even more than listen to me talk. 

I had started working on the research a week or so later than I planned to do so, but as of Monday night, my notes were finished (well, okay, I remembered something afterwards to add) and I had photos of samplers I liked and which went with talk.  My husband was going to print the sampler photos for me on Tuesday afternoon and evening.  He was bit miffed that I was not using any of the photos he has taken over the years of samplers at exhibitions, but polite about it.  (I only was not using them as I have seen his photo organization - everything has the original number assigned to it and is a folder by year of every photo he took that year.)  I was going to bring a reproduction of a 1700s sampler I had stitched - and I had a photo of the original.  I planned to bring about 3 or 4 of the books I have with photos and info about samplers.  Yes, for once I was organized and not going to have to work in a panic at the last minute - I am a major procrastinator.  The weather since last week had said it would rain today - I figured out how to pack what I was bringing (especially the reproduction sampler and books) so it would not get wet. 

Yesterday we went to the banks and dealt with moving money around.  I had been unsure if I should go to the client yesterday or tomorrow and tomorrow was suppose to be the better weather day and it gave me more time to prepare for the talk.  Everything was going great.

Then yesterday the weather report changed!  The rain today changed to snow - not too much in this area, but it would be coming down while everyone was driving to the meeting and some members come from the county to the east and others from the county to the west - and let’s face it - we are a bunch of, literally, old ladies.  Heck, I live around the corner and up the block from where we meet and I was concerned about driving to the meeting.  I kept figuring I would hear from the chapter president to talk about the weather, but I did not.  Finally I telephoned her - good thing, she had not heard about the weather.  So, we split the membership list to call and tell them the meeting was canceled (not a big group and there are members who are friends and/or come to meetings together so we can call one and have them let the other know). 

So, now I have a lot of time as I will not be giving the talk until May.  I will not get complacent and will make sure husband has time to leisurely print the photos and he will time to look for a few photos he took for me.  (I like to make him happy as much as he likes to make me happy.)

So I planned to call my client and ask if I could come tomorrow - but the weather is to be below freezing and it is still raining on and off, so ice is a good possibility.  She is not always in on Fridays, but luckily this week she is, so I will go then when it was to be a tiny bit warmer and dry.  Of course once I made the appointment there was suddenly a 20% chance of snow on Friday!  But the local news covers parts of 3 states and the sections north and west of us tend to be the more likely to have snow, so I am hoping I will not get stuck driving in snow. 

Spent the afternoon catching up on things on the computer as I had not expected to be home.  Found some items online I promised to email to my mom and did so.  A few bank statements had come in, so I did the bank recs on them, so they are done with for the month.  I scanned magazine articles for my husband - in case the idea is forgotten - he had a number of issues of a reenacting magazine that for some years he no longer subscribes to.  I suggested he go through the magazines, mark the articles he is interested in and I would scan the articles so he would have them if needed or wanted (and they could be magnified easily so he could read them easier) and then get rid of the magazines. Oh, and the file can also be searched if he is looking for info on a specific topic.  I do this “between” other things.  Today I got rid of 3 more issues.    I also went through the work from last year for this client so that if I have any questions about anything I can look it up Friday to correct it.

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK -

“The best laid plans of mice and men...”  There are going to be times when what one plans goes awry - much more often than one expects.  One just has to go with it.  If you end up with time planned for one thing and then not doing that one thing, figure out what else to use the time for.  I am now ahead on other things that I would have to do anyway and I am ready - except for printing the photos - for when I give the talk in May and I will be much more relaxed as I will not have had to rush to put together the talk then.  Maybe I will even find some source for some things I know and cannot remember where I read them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment