Thursday, June 21, 2018

TRAPPED IN A WHIRLWIND

Okay - I am now so disorganized that I have no idea of what to write for you.  So this will be a bit off the cuff and probably ramble even more than usual.  I had my time planned out a bit better, but you know what happens.

This week I had planned to go to a client on Tuesday or Wednesday - the one in Manhattan.  Due to the severe thunderstorms predicted for Tuesday, I asked her to come there on Wednesday and she could not make the appointment for that day.  Which freed up the middle of this week a bit.

Monday night we had our reenactment unit meeting - this is when we get together in modern clothes and discuss recent past events and how they went and what can be done to make them better in the future, upcoming events - the logistics of when and where to be, what we will be doing, who is doing to come to the event, who will cook, what the unit needs to bring - what members need to bring, etc.  We also have a presentation by one of the members about something related to the period, the event coming up, or how to improve our presentations.  Our next event is a new one, two days long, and in need of more planning than usual as we are the lead group of several groups with the event spread out over a good sized period village and such logistics as what we will do and where we will be if it rains, arrangements for people who are camping overnight at the site (many of the units will be doing so, our unit most will go home overnight), set up, break down, etc.  Husband did the program for the meeting on how to do first person (being a person of the past who knows nothing past the specific day in the past) as many of our members are new to this and it is integral to the event.  So, most of Monday night was gone - we were not home to eat dinner until after 11 pm.

Monday afternoon husband had tried to start our RV’s generator - it has to be run once a month if it has not been used.  It would not start.  Not the usual it almost started, but different - maybe it will start tomorrow, but dead silence.  The generator is under the back of the RV.  Husband gets sick if he is a variety of positions, so I climbed under - all the switches were set correctly. He finally did climb under as we tried to find and see the fuse for it - which we could not do.  He telephoned the generator shop we have used in the past  - we have to have the oil changed annually and needed to do it for this year (we had run the generator for a whopping 24 hours total over the year) - so that will done also.  We are hoping it will not be a huge bill - people talk about generator repair bills being more than a new one would cost.  We had figured it would be awhile before they can take us, but they can take us this coming Monday - at 9 am.

Yesterday we went to the bank for the week as we needed to cover some checks and figured if this was out of the way, it would be easier to get ready later in the week for the reenactment event mentioned.  I also managed to finish cleaning the inside of the bucket to the dehumidifier in the basement.  It has dividers that don’t come out and even my tiny hands could not reach everywhere.  Husband came up with the idea of using a stiff, thin artist’s paint brush which worked.

Today we went and cleared out the RV as they will need to go inside and the mattresses, and other items will be in their way.  We don’t want anyone near the mattresses any way, and we also took out the wood support pieces for the mattresses.  We put them in plastic mattress bags in our living room - on a table husband uses for his weaving - every time I walk past it looks like there is a body laid out in there - ugh.  I also caught up on paying bills - with the money we put in yesterday.  I then recalculated how much we need to pay bills next week - before we, hopefully, go on a trip the week after.  We could pay the bills, but not have any cash for the trip - or pay another bill I anticipate.  So tomorrow, the only free day left for a while, we will go and get money from my IRA account - no available money in husband’s until August.

Friday will be the setup day for the event so we will be there a good deal of the day.  Saturday and Sunday will be the event - and it now looks like rain, possibly both days.  Monday we will be taking the RV to the generator shop.  Either Tuesday or Wednesday I have to get to that client.  Then Thursday the board of my embroidery chapter is having its annual meeting to plan next year’s meeting programs.  The Monday after we are going away for a week - no, really this time, we made the reservations last year and have to pay even if we don’t go, so weather be darned, we will be going.
  
I am pretty sure I have mentioned that we are not morning people - me in particular.  One advantage to being self employed is that I don’t have to get up early.  Each of my clients figures that I am at a different one in the morning when I go there in the afternoon.  I used to get up at 9-10 am - yes, you can call me a slug-a-bed, but since husband has retired we - again, especially me- have gotten worse.  We go to bed at 3 am.  It usually takes me until 5 am to fall asleep and we start getting up - very slowly - at 11 am.  When we need to, we get up earlier.

But in the coming weeks we will be getting up early (for us) almost every day.

We have to get up early Friday to be out and ready for the setup, Saturday and  Sunday we have to be there by 9 am - and getting dressed in the period clothing takes longer than throwing on our regular clothes, plus the drive there.           

But I wasn’t worried as I knew I could sleep to normal time on Monday - but no longer can as we have to get up and out even earlier on Monday to be at the generator place by 9 am - it is further away.

Then if I am lucky I will be able to sleep to normal time on Tuesday - but either Tuesday or Wednesday I will need to get up just as early to get to the client in the city - even though I am going there for noon, the trip lately has been taking almost 2 hours.  So I will have one of the two days to sleep in to normal time.

Then Thursday I have to get up and out to the board meeting.

Thank goodness for next Friday, Saturday and Sunday and a chance to sleep a bit.  But we will have to be setting up the RV for the trip - even more work to be done than normal, as we have to put back everything we took out, plus the stuff we normally put in it for a trip - and make that darn bed - that takes 45 minutes if I am lucky, over an hour if I do something out of order and have to redo it.  (Remember, this is the bed that can only be accessed from a 2 foot wide opening at the foot of the bed, so it mostly has to be made while in the bed.)

Then we will be off for a “relaxing” trip.  Up early every morning. Pack the inside of the RV so nothing will shift during the day. Unplug the electric and cable.  Run around all day and then at night - find the right spot in the RV space that the RV is level and plug in the electric and cable - did it once in a heavy rain storm that was so bad that there were “get inside” for safety purposes.  Set up the inside of the RV - invariably we forget to shut the rear curtain while outside and have to go back out to do it.  And the last morning we have to make sure to get up early enough to “dump tanks” and be out by 11 am.

So, it has and will be a rather hectic and tiring 2 weeks, especially since all the normal things still have to be done - right now - in less than 7 minutes - I have to run downstairs and switch laundry loads.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -

It seems that we go through periods where time is easy - no appointments, just get things done as we can.  Then we hit a period of craziness where almost every day is planned and there is little or no time to think.  Somehow we always get through it.


So, if I don’t post next week - or the one after - although I certainly plan to, you will know why.


Do other people go through crazy periods like this too?


No comments:

Post a Comment