Thursday, May 14, 2020

COVID 19 #9 PATIENCE WITH ERRORS AND DELAYS

I hope that all and their loved ones continue to be well.

This week in the wonderful world of isolated at home we have been working on two problems. 

First over a week ago I found that the hot water tap in our downstairs bathroom was leaking.  I tried to use the shut off valve under the sink – but of course it did not turn. I had to call husband to deal withit.  He could not turn that shut off valve either but, being taller than me, he could reach the bigger shut off – just for that sink – in the basement.  So no leak and no hot water in the sink in the bathroom off the kitchen.  Hands either had to be washed upstairs, in the kitchen sink or in cold water.  Since I would forget to wash my hands before coming downstairs to work in the kitchen and did not want to risk washing virus into the kitchen sink – it was wash with cold water. 

In normal times we would have gone to Home Depot and bought the replacement cartridge and fixed the sink – after much screaming and yelling about what was being done.  (It is not a household repair around here unless there is a lot of screaming and yelling.)  But we were not going to go out and look for the part in Home Depot.  Husband looked it up online and found that the Home Depot we go to did have the part and would bring it out to us in our car - but in looking to see this, he found out that there is a lifetime warranty on the cartridge and the manufacturer would replace it free – and by mail.  So I telephoned and they were mailing the cartridge.  Tuesday we had not received it and I called to check and it was traced and here at the post office – along the lines of  “a small world” the woman who checked for me happened to mention she used to live in this area – in the community I grew up and I told her that.  She then mentioned the school her children went to – and it was the one that my sisters and I went to – gee, they might have gone to school with one of my sisters (I am too old to imagine that for me as she would be, well, as old as my 91 yo mom). 

The cartridge arrived in the mail today and with a small amount of concern of everything going right – we now have hot water in the downstairs bathroom – and it does not leak – my hands are very happy not to be in cold water again.  Well, the isolation led to us saving the cost of the cartridge as he would not have looked online and found out about warranty on it if it was not that we are not going out.

Second – we have put off renewing our several medical prescriptions until now when they have to be renewed – will be out of one medication for husband on Friday morning and he did not like my idea of splitting up some old pills of same medication to make the correct dosage for him. 

On Monday during the day I telephoned our pharmacy – Walmart – about what arrangements they had for pickup as we did not want to walk into the store.  Around here,  Walmarts are not delivering and there is no pick up service currently in general.   They do have pickup service for prescriptions only (not even denture adhesive could be added). I was told to call before we come and then again when we are in the parking lot and we would pay at our car. I telephoned on Monday night and put in the renewals through the pharmacy's computer.    

On Tuesday (yesterday) we received a call that they were out of the strips for my Diabetes meter and it would take until “Wednesday” for them to come.  I told them that was okay – and then asked about same for husband – since I had listed his prescriptions first, he had gotten the last of the strips.  No problem, we had figured on going today (Wednesday) any way.  So far, so good.

Today I telephoned the pharmacy to check that the strips had come in.  They had, but now they were short one of husband's blood pressure medications and it would not be in until “Thursday”.  Okay, we can go tomorrow.  The employee was looking over the list of the medications to make sure all the rest were accounted for.  She happened to mention his insulin and the price - $141.  Problem – it is suppose to be $47.  I double checked that they only were filling same for a month.  (Our other medications are for 90 days, but he only wants one box/month's worth of insulin at a time since if something happens to our fridge it will go bad and is expensive (more than it appears from the copay for it).  It was for a month. 

So I telephoned our insurance company.  I got a very nice employee – he explained what it could be – I explained that the deductible had been met for the year.  He checked the records and agreed it should be $47.  While we were speaking there was an echo on his phone – whatever caused that made it so he could not call our pharmacy and he transferred me to another employee – with apparently notes about our discussion on our files as I did not need to give her the pharmacy's phone number again.  She though insisted the $141 was correct as it was for 75 days of insulin!  I explained that it was for a one month supply and the prescription is written for same – one month, one box.  She finally figured out the problem and called the pharmacy to change the price.  I then called the pharmacy to make sure it was all corrected.  So hopefully when I check tomorrow all the prescriptions will be ready and we will go and get them.

Third – Yesterday in the mail we received mail from our cable company marked “urgent” - so I opened it before sealing the mail in the “Tuesday” plastic zip bag for mail.  I left it open and facing the bag to be able to read it while it was in the bag.  It said that our cable would be shut off as we have not paid our bill.  Back last month when the cable bill was due we were short on money in our checking account due a timing problem to pay our cable bill.  Normally we would have gone and transferred money from another account – but if we cannot go out, we cannot easily transfer the money.  I tried telephoning our cable company to new avail, then we tried to “chat” online with same – to no avail until I went to what I had learned to do during the crisis – I went online in the middle of the night to chat with them.  A very nice employee when I explained the situation and asked for the courtesy of an additional week to pay the bill told me that he did not give me the time – there was an automatic 60 day allowance on payment of bills.  I checked with him again that nothing needed to be done and he said nothing – it was automatic.  So we paid our cable bill from last month and our cable bill from this month – together – earlier this month  - 30 days after the first bill was due and in time to be on time for this month's bill. 

Then yesterday I received the notice.  I tried calling the cable company to no avail – busy.  Meanwhile husband went online into our cable account online – it showed the payment and but had for an unknown reason a $10 balance.  I checked with our bank and the check had cleared our bank on April 11 – seems to me that it should have reached them timely if it was back to our bank by then.  I checked the notice – it mentioned a $10 fee if one did not pay by automatic payment – was this something new that they had done? 

 Later that night I again went on the cable company's website and turned on chat and waited for about 45 minutes.  I put in the background of what had happened and then asked about why I received the notice if I had 60 days grace on the late payment from last month and this month's was timely paid – and did I now have to pay a $10 fee for paying with a check instead of by automatic payment?  Per this employee - there was never a blanket 60 day grace period – same was for people who lost their jobs, was only offered through mid March, and people had to apply for it.  My check reached them – one day late, due per her May 8 and arrived on May 9 (mailed on May 3). I mentioned that we have been with them over 30 years and  NEVER paid late.   I was not charged for a fee for paying by check – it was for late payment.  She waived the fee.  She also said that she would let them know about the incorrect information I had relied on which I had been told during the earlier chat in case other customers were told the same incorrect info.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -

Everything now takes a bit more time and more checking to make sure it is correct.  Try to keep calm (I did with all of these problems) and be nice – so many people are so upset and on edge that customer service people appreciate even more when a customer is nice to them.  (And believe me, I can terribly nasty when something has gone wrong due to stupidity -such as employee giving incorrect information.)  I have also been sure to thank the employees for continuing to working for all of us to have the needed services/items and say that I hope they and their families stay well.

No comments:

Post a Comment