Thursday, February 23, 2023

NO MATTER THAT ONE THINKS ALL IS UNDER CONTROL - SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG

 Well another week gone past – how could it be?

I put away more of the Christmas decorations during the week.  I have a couple of boxes left to go downstairs and plan to take them down tonight when I go down on trips to washer and dryer for laundry.  I also have my teddy village Christmas on the second floor (boxes are up there to store the Christmas bears in), but have held back on putting it away as there is not much I put out for Valentine's Day – which is now in the past anyway – so I figure this year I will jump right to March.

Now I am getting started doing tax returns for clients.  Some business income returns are due March 15.  I have a partnership which owned by husband and myself and the return is almost finished – but it does no business so that it is easy to do.  

I do have a problem with one client.  The business returns are due by March 15.  Client has not been well and I need all of the information from all of 2022 to prepare client's returns.  So while neither client nor I like extensions, the business returns have to go on extension.  

Federal extension – no problem – I filled in the form and it does not even need to be signed so I will mail it to IRS.  Client's business is in a large city in our state – I prepared the extension form for the business's city income tax return and included the minimum tax payment as client generally has a loss lately, wrote up instructions and it will also be on its way to client tomorrow with other tax related papers for client to write a check, sign the form and mail out.

Problem is client's corporation return.  If it was a regular corporation or a partnership or even a business which Somehow they have the wrong address for the business, sent the papers to that address, and cannot send it to another address! If it was owned as “a sole proprietor” it would also be no problem. Somehow they have the wrong address for the business, sent the papers to that address, and cannot send it to another address! The business is, as are lots of other businesses, what is a called “an S corporation”.  This is a sort of a cross between a corporation and a partnership (to keep it simple).  For some reason this type of extension and ONLY this type of extension has to be filed online.  I cannot file it for client as I am not the owner of the business.  Client cannot file it as does NOT use a computer at all.  Client has been ill and in the hospital so cannot send me the info I need to prepare the return!  I managed to get someone at the state tax office to agree that due to the circumstances of client's age and illness they would mail an extension form for us to use.  Client never received it.  Remember client is not at work due to illness and they can only mail the form to the business address!  Someone checked her business mail for her and the form is not there!

I telephoned the state again and found out that somehow they have the wrong address on file for her business – and they can ONLY send the extension form to the address they have on file!  I pointed out that they have her returns from past years and can see on same that it is the wrong address, no did not help.  

What we apparently have to do – client has to give me a power of attorney for the business.  I will then call the state tax office and get them same so they can let me do things and talk to me.  I then will change the business's mailing address to my house – they can then mail ME the extension and I can sign it for client.  After a month or so I will then again file a change of address form for the business and change it back to the correct business address!  

Why this type of business has this problem in our state and ONLY this type of business I have no idea.  This is something new as in past years if an extension was needed it was not a problem.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK  -

It is amazing how many odd things happen to make life harder no matter how organized one is.

No comments:

Post a Comment