Thursday, March 17, 2016

A REPEAT OF LAST WEEK

This week has not been much better.  Things keep going wrong.
                           
People who know me think that I am very organized.  If they read this or saw the inside of my house, they would be surprised.  It is weeks like last week and this week that make it disorganized.  Okay, every week is bad, but these have been particularly problematic and I know it could be much worse with real problems instead of just annoyances..

In the past few weeks we spent 2 days looking for a couple of pieces of small lumber for husband to make something for his loom - I mean really small lumber - 1/4 inch x 6 inches (which means more like 5.5 inches in the world of lumber) x 4 feet.  We finally found 2 pieces which were not skewed, warped, broken, split, etc.  They were at our house for 3 days - and warped.  So more time lost returning them and now he has no wood.

We also spent a different 2 days shopping for white bath towels - needed large ones, but cheap as they are to roll weaving projects in when the projects are washed after they are finished, this is to get the excess water out of them instead of using the spin cycle on the washing machine as that seems to be what made the problem in the last project.  We then went out a 3rd day to actually buy the towels, plus the time spent at home heating them in our “suitcase heater” (just in case there are any bedbugs in them, we are crazy about this since we had them) and then washing and drying them.  They are awaiting the current project.

I had to prepare a corporation tax extension for a client and so that it was out yesterday (the 15th) to the governments.  This is not the return I finished and sent out last week - that one arrived last Friday and the client sent it out after a telephone call to discuss it and make sure she knew what she was doing.  For good measure sales taxes are due in this state - not just the regular quarterly ones, but also the annual ones (for companies with very few sales) on the 20th.  I have done two of them.  I went to the client with last week’s corporation tax return today and calculated her sales taxes.  Now I have to do it again online as they are required to be filed on same, and there is no Internet at the client.  I prefer to go to her on Thursdays, but had to go today (Wednesday) as I have the sales tax deadline and tomorrow is  - St Patrick’s Day in New York City.  I learned the hard way by going into Manhattan once - and only once - on St Patrick’s Day - I will never do it again.  I was stuck in the parking garage for 45 minutes waiting for enough people to leave so tha the 5 cars ahead of me would get spaces and then one more for me.  After I file her sales taxes I can start preparing individual returns for clients.

Husband had a new weaving project to set up on the loom.  He went to set up the warp (the long strands that run the length of the piece and he will weave over - think “warp speed ahead” and envision long straight lines pointing ahead, that is how I remember which it is) on Saturday afternoon.  The yarn he planned to use we found out is not usable for same as it was too slippery.  He pulled an older yarn from the basement to use (this is from decades ago and never intended by us for this future purpose).  As he rolled each skein into a ball he found out that it was junk yarn and there were problems - so that’s why the huge bag of yarn was only a dollar?  So - off to the store for more yarn.  Monday he started setting up the loom with the new yarn - this takes my help - more time lost from what I need to do - and in one spot it has the same problem as the yarn it replaced!  He is working around it.  The loom was finally set up on Tuesday and I helped him get started on finishing the leading edge of it tonight and now he should not need my help with it for a few days - I hope.

We went to the supermarket on Monday to buy soda on sale.  They are out of the soda which is on sale.  We went to another store in the chain yesterday to try again - they also had none. Did no one notice they were about to have a sale and make sure that the stores were stocked?  Just for good measure husband went back today - still none - and driving home from NYC I stopped at one near the NYC border to see if maybe they had some soda there - no, not there either.  The sale ends tomorrow (Thursday), but we did get rain checks - a bottle and a half of soda left for us.

In between all of this I am trying to catch up on what was sitting around waiting to be done from last week.  Okay, even further back.  I managed to pack most of my Christmas bear figurines in the living room this weekend (these are the ones that rotate monthly, not the bear village upstairs which is now long packed).  There are still a bunch of them to pack - but the loom and new weaving project are set up in the room and I don’t want to drop and break the bears skirting around the loom nor do I want to bump the loom and ruin the project.

My cold is much better, but still here.  So dealing with meals and dishes is still all off as I try to make meals in which I do not have to touch the actual food with my hands (just the packaging) and then wear plastic gloves to wash the dishes.
   
Plus of course the wonderfulness that is daylight savings time started last Sunday - throwing me, myself, off schedule.  Plus I am not sure that all of the clocks, watches, and other items have been changed - oh wait, that is why the light timers are off and the lights are going on at the wrong time - darn, something else to do!

Again, hopefully, next week will be better and life will be more normal.   

Do you have a problem with the time change?  I know in other countries it has not happened yet and some places have, intelligently in my opinion, gotten rid of same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment