Thursday, March 10, 2016

WEEK OF FALLING BEHIND AND TROUBLE GETTING THINGS DONE - ACHOO!

Well, it has been one of those weeks - you know them - everything takes longer than you figure it will and it is hard to get anything done and then it all goes along like a ball rolling along and picking up more delays and problems.

I hate when I don’t have time to do something right or time to finish it and I have to set it aside and go back and finish it.  When I started today I felt like I had added another 5 days of backup to what I have to do.  The pile on my desk was growing. 

Last Sunday our reenactment unit had its annual party.  While we are no longer involved in the party planning and buying for it, I am still the treasurer and I am chasing down members who have not renewed as I need to send paperwork and payment for our members to our national group - by March 1- over week ago.  So the end of last week I had to gather all my paperwork for same and call those who have not responded to emails, of course the phone call is more than just “you must renew now” as we are all friends - “is everyone okay” “what is happening”, etc.  Then two of the people who promised to renew at the party still have not done so and did not come to the party and I have to chase them down again.  Also the party, while I enjoy going, took up an entire afternoon when I could have been doing other things.

On the other hand a craft related group I belong to was contacted by a stranger in reference to something that was found on ebay related to our chapter and I spent time, also the end of last week, to deal with contact between the person who contacted us and the various members of the group until we resolved it - sort of - we are still discussing the situation.

As an accountant “in real life” I have corporation taxes for clients due out by March 15 and sales taxes for clients by March 20. I spent part of last week getting one corporation return in particular done to the point where I knew it would get finished in time to go to the client this week when I went for the regular monthly trip to do her books and get the return in the mail to the government on time, as well as calculate her sales taxes to then come home and redo same online as required by our state. 

So bills I paid last week were paid, but not posted to my computer.  Other similar items.  I have bills to pay to members of the craft group for items they purchased for same - just sitting in the pile and I really should reimburse them.

Then came this past Monday.  What I had hoped was just a dry throat from the furnace heat, had finished developing into a cold.  So now I feel rushed and I am coughing and sneezing and my brain feels like it is enveloped in “stupid”. (Actually just stopped to sneeze.)  My husband is trying to avoid me to avoid getting sick - but I am still cooking and washing the dishes and doing the laundry.  I am using hand sanitizer like crazy.  I am using my tv/cable remote from upstairs  - downstairs, so we are not both touching the same controller, but the TV is different and has to be worked manually and I like the TV much lower in volume than he does and that has to be changed on the TV itself and it is driving me crazy.

My husband just finished a weaving project on his new loom and is trying hard to deal with the aftersteps alone, but I usually help him and, unrelated to him doing it alone, the piece has creases in it which he cannot get rid of, and with my brain stuck in stupid, I cannot really help - or even hear him half the time.  Today we spent the entire afternoon looking for large white bath sheets to buy for him to roll the piece in after wetting it again - after several hours and giving up, we realized that we had towels useable for the purpose in our RV.  So time which could have been used to catch up - was gone.  He is very excitable and managed not only to use up most of the afternoon, but get himself so dizzy with what he did with soaking the piece and rolling it up in the towels, that he got sick and had to go to bed for a couple of hours.  And we never did the grocery shopping we needed to do.

I finished the corporation return for the client on Monday.  On Tuesday I decided that there was no way I would be able to deal with going to the client in Manhattan on Thursday as planned, especially if it may rain then, as well as the client is an older woman and I would hate to give her this horrible cold.  I called her and explained and that I would mail the returns to her, she would send them out, and I would be in late next week when I was better.  She agreed.  I then had to finish assembling the returns and write instructions for her - my normal forms would just confuse her.  I spent yesterday afternoon and evening doing this. (Which is why I did not write this post last night as I normally would have done.)  Just as I was finishing - I was writing the instructions for the last form, a NYC form, I found out that the payment has to be sent separately with a different form - and I could not find that form online as a paper form.  After about a half hour of looking I found what must be an example form as it said “company name, company address” etc.  A couple of labels to cover the information and a quick scan and fill in her information on the form and that was done.  Her return went out to her today.  I still have to finish scanning my copy of her return and my paperwork for same and it is sitting in “the pile” in a folder.       

We had dinner out last night to save on my cooking and washing the dishes and spreading germs.  We planned to go to the chain buffet we normally go to, but the company just closed around 50 or more of their locations and this turned out to be one of them.  So we ended up driving to the next county to their other location - an extra 45 minutes between going (during rush hour) and returning. 

After we came home today I managed to catch up on my email - I don’t have much, but like to check it every day on weekdays, I then paid 3 bills due out now - will be out in tomorrow’s mail.  My husband has said that he will go out and run errands tomorrow so I can catch up (though he did it before he felt ill). 

I have been working on setting up information about our bills and paying them for my husband or anyone else who might need to do it - just in case something happened to me.  A car accident three years ago started this project and I am now scanning in one of each bill with all the info I fill in on it filled in, as well as a scan of the check that pays the bill and the envelope it is sent in. So I had to stop and do this for each of the 3 bills and add them to a spreadsheet of when bills are due that I also just started to go with the step by step directions written in the past. 

I then went to post a bill I paid last week for our business.  Quick thing to do - do it all the time.  Hah!  We had returned something to a store and I had posted the credit “memo” on the computer.  The software automatically subtracted same from what needed to be paid, something which should not have been done as the return was done after that statement’s cutoff.  By the time I was done I had to delete the entire accounting software file for our business and replaced it with the one from the last backup (yesterday - that’s why I backup a lot) and started over.  I had to remove the entry for the return and then after posting the payment, reenter the entry. In the middle of all this my husband came up and told me he was so sick from the weaving that he was going to bed - Oyyyyy!

I did a few other things on the computer and cut the pile down a bit.  I then went and checked with my husband about dinner - could he eat?  What did he want to eat?  And then came downstairs and made dinner, did the dishes, and then started writing this post at 11 pm. 

Husband just came down and does not feel well again.  I hope I have not given him my cold as he is not good at being ill.

Well, we have a saying “It could be a lot worse, and probably will be” so I will go back to trying to catch up. I hope the week to come lets me catch up and all is better here by next week.

I am sure you all have weeks like this.  Hopefully the coming week will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment