Thursday, December 7, 2017

Missing items and items forgotten about appear when decorating and decluttering

Last week I talked about putting out our outdoor Christmas decorations.  I also had the boldness to say that because I know where the Christmas items are stored it is easy to find them.  I apparently lied without knowing it.

We had not put our battery candles in the front windows when we put up the lights outside.  While technically inside the house as they are placed inside the windows, their purpose is to be seen from outside, so I consider them to be outside decorations.  When we remembered that we had forgotten to put them in place I immediately went to my candle drawer (holds all manner of candles) where I know I keep them.  They were not there - I took everything out of the drawer to check.  I looked in the drawer next to the candle drawer to see if I stuck them there - perhaps the candle drawer was too full?  These drawers are under our living room TV which is (old and analog and) in a cabinet we bought for it and the drawers are in the cabinet.  I then looked in all the “logical” places - the drawers in the end tables next to the sofa, the secretary  - shelves and drawers - no candles. 

Where could they be - maybe in with the inside the house decorations in 2 boxes in the basement?  I got the two boxes and opened and went through them - no candles.  I figured that sooner or later they would show up in my Christmas decorating and I was not going to go crazy over them.

I decided that since the boxes had been brought up and were sitting there and I had a hour or two until we went out for dinner, I would start putting out the decorations.  The decorations are artificial greens and swags and other small items to put out.  I started on the dining room decorations as husband still has his loom set up in the living room.  I put items here and there in the dining room and front hall (the items in the same box).  I came across two candle rings (small fake flowers in a ring intended to sit around the base of stubby candles) and I had an “aha” moment and knew where the window candles were. 

In addition to the plastic boxes in the basement I have 3 decorative boxes with Christmas items upstairs in a trunk at the top of the stairs, with some other Christmas decorations - two large angels and such.  The candles for the rings are in one of the decorative boxes - and I knew that the window candles must be in one also.  I went upstairs, moved the 3 families of bears who “live” on the trunk and opened it - there were the boxes and yes, the window candles were in there.  I took them out and put the boxes and bears back for now.  I put the candles on my desk as they have timers and have to be lit at the time I want them to go on.  A couple of days later I remembered at the right time and set them up with batteries and put them in the window - at last the outside lights are finished for this year!

I have been somewhat busy since then as I had my embroidery chapter meeting today and had to get paperwork together for it.  Also, I was not doing the project the group was doing at the meeting as I thought I would be away, so I had to pick something to bring to work on at the meeting. 

I also did a bit of decluttering.  We have 2 corner cabinets in our living room - they each have display shelves in the main part of them and then 2 shelves in a closed door cabinet at the bottom for storage.  One of them has items I somewhat often use for Thanksgiving, Christmas etc.  The other has items we either have never used or have not used in decades.  In addition to wanting to get rid of them in general, I figure with the tax law changes under discussion, this might be my last chance to donate them and get a tax advantage from same.  My husband is big on keeping things - “we might need it one day” or “maybe we could sell this, keep it”.  I would never get rid of anything of his, but I have to argue to get rid things that are mine also.  So while he was busy upstairs, I went through what was in the bottom of the cabinet.  I pulled out to donate glass serving bowls, glass platters, glass cake server which also can be a punch server, several candy dishes (in unopened boxes).  I brought them all to the kitchen, listed them on a piece of paper, and stored them in large shopping bags in our studio on my side of the room - he would just figure it was bags of my stuff (or his) if he saw them.  I also had some things to go on computers (not electronic stuff - paper holder that attaches to a monitor and the like) which had been waiting to go to storage or donation for at least 15 years.  Also a decorative jar that the lid just sits on -does not screw on for storage.  6 small wine glasses with a silver dipped edge - his mom’s, we got them after she died and we had previously discussed that they could be gotten rid of.  Lastly - when we replaced our mailbox earlier this year, we put the old one aside in the garage “in case the new one did not work out”.  This past weekend he had tripped on it in the garage while putting up the Christmas lights and swore at it - it was definitely time for it to go. 

Normally I would have put all this (5 bags worth plus the mailbox) in the car Tuesday nights - along with the soda bottles to be returned for deposit - but it was raining.  The soda bottles went out earlier in the evening, but not the donations.  So this morning I loaded them into the car.  After my meeting and various errands I drove to Goodwill and donated the stuff and then went to Walmart and returned the soda bottles.  Well, a small bit more room in the house.  I am trying to figure out what should now go in the bottom of that cabinet - there are some items I kept - mostly a hand crafted coffee set someone gave us as a wedding gift - I kept it as it is from someone he knew and won’t get rid of it without permission.  There are also display items in the cabinet for the items (a set of bear figurines which I rotate by month and need to raise some up so all can be seen) in the cabinet, which I left - I did find a box of the figurines I bought in the last couple of years as they have made a reappearance at flea markets and back stored stock of a store; I knew that there were more of them than I had found!  I have to organize all the new ones so they join the right month’s group of the ones I have.  (You know - lovers in February, flowers in May, graduates in June and so on.)

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -

Sometimes even when one thinks all is organized one is not - and items may happily appear as one unpacks items to be put out or when one goes through items to get rid of.     

I hope that none of you are in the area of the terrible fires in southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment