Thursday, December 14, 2017

TOO MUCH TO DO AT ONCE

Well Christmas is closer than I thought - and so is Chanukah (which is already here).  But only a small part of my efforts have gone towards the indoor decorating.

Last Friday we took a day trip to, yes, Lancaster, PA.  For once the trip went well.  Even though it was a day trip we went in our tiny RV.  Why?  Well, after my problems with our car last month (stalling when I stopped and having to be restarted and our service guys found nothing), the RV not getting enough driving due to our few trips this year, and the fact we wanted to buy some local foods from there for the winter - we decided to take the RV.  We left early (for us) and we were there by noon. 

Husband had wanted some additional attachments for his loom and the wool store he buys loom things at is there - he called ahead and the stuff was waiting.  The ladies there are very nice and chatty - as are we normally - but we made our apologies and explained that we were on a very tight schedule and paid for the items and left. 

We actually went backwards a bit and went to one of the large farmer’s markets there that we like to go to.  It was rather cold and we would have had a problem eating the submarine sandwiches we buy from a local place as the seating is outside - but we had the RV!  We went back, turned one front seat around, pulled the table out - took out the cold can of soda we had brought in the fridge and had lunch.  When finished, we turned the seat back to the front, put away the tables and took the garbage to toss in a bin.  Most of the day vendors - the ones who come and set up tents and tables by their vehicles - were not there due to the weather, but there are still buildings and buildings - and outdoor stands - of vendors.  We always enjoy just walking around and we have been going there together for over 40 years together so it feels like home - some vendors even know us by sight and they feel like friends - of course in all that time a lot of them have retired or passed away and we miss them when we pass by their spaces - of occupied by new vendors.  One vendor (not sure if I have mentioned this) is consolidating her stores from the 3 large markets in the area and the one she has at home - two of the stores are now closed.  She had been selling out her very discounted items at 50% and this year went down to 60% off.  I always think that I have bought everything she might have had that we would want - and find something different (I won’t say new as nothing is new - not used, just there a long time.)  I have added greatly to my Christmas bear village and my bear collection in general since she started consolidating. 

When we went to leave the market it was 4:30. We had hope to get to the local butcher whose ham and (lunch/dinner) sausages we love - and husband loves their chicken salad - but we thought it too late to get there while they were open.  I pulled out my cellphone and found out they were open until 7 pm - and we knew they were on the way to where we planned to eat dinner.  We bought a ham section, sausages, and chicken salad for him to have for dinner one night.  We would have bought another ham section - but a tiny RV has a tiny fridge and it would not fit with the rest.  

On to dinner at a local supermarket which has a buffet in an restaurant in the building (and nice looking other dishes on their menu also) and had dinner.  We even got a seat in our favorite area of the restaurant.  (Although to be fair, it was the waitress who was in this section that made it our favorite and she had a baby last year and is mostly not there when we go.)  After dinner we started home.

Now, on and off the report was that it was suppose to snow or rain when we would be coming home.  It then changed to snow the next day.  Just in case the first report was right, we brought a day’s worth of medications and a change of clothes - we could have stayed if needed, but the weather held.  As we left the restaurant husband turned to me with a smile and said “We got it all done.  How great!”

Tuesday I went to my accounting client to do her books.  Wednesday (today) is the 13th and she has a major fear of 13 and will not let me come on the 13th (I don’t even call on the 13th for an appointment) and Thursday we are suppose to have snow.  A bit of confusion while I was there - but in the end everything worked out - finally - thank goodness.  All the past problems are resolved.  Coming home - the darn car had the same problem as last month.  This time they were able to find some “codes” which were not right and they replacing solenoids which hopefully will fix it.  Having dealt with this last month, I did my best not to stop - just roll slowly when a stop was coming if I had room - and tried to pick roads that I would have the least problem with constant stops (during rush hour) for one of the last parts I took a local street as I knew that it was not heavily traveled - drivers were much nastier this time than last - much horn beeping at me - last month none. 

I think I have mentioned that I have to take 20 hours of classes to keep being able to prepare tax returns and represent clients at IRS each year.  I signed up (again) with an online company one course at a time (varying from 1 to 4 hours) I have completed all but the big 6 hour course which has a 3 hour, timed, exam.  Tonight was when I finished the last of the smaller courses.  I have next Wednesday night marked on my calendar to take the big exam.  I have until the end of the month to take it - and I get 3 chances, I am hoping to only need 1 chance to pass it.

I was so busy with everything that I almost forgot Chanukah (remember, despite the Christmas decorating I am Jewish).  Good thing I had a reminder in my cell phone and Tuesday night I pulled out my menorah (traditional candelabra) and stuck in a candle for the first night and a candle for the “worker candle” (one is suppose to light this candle and use it to light the other candles) for the first night.  Tonight I lit 2 candles plus the worker candle. 

I did more work on the few decorations in the dining room.  Tonight before sitting down to write (while taking the laundry downstairs to start the first load) I pulled out assorted soft items - mostly bears - that sit around in the living room - and “Rodney Reindeer” who sits in the hall on the top of our clock/door bell mechanism.  When I go down to switch loads, more will be done in to finish the dining room decorations.  Lots more decorating to do and I have to figure out when and how to get it done - somehow I always do, even if some go up on Christmas Day!

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -

Take time to breathe and rest as you are getting ready for the holidays.  Don’t go over budget on shopping.  Stop and enjoy what you are doing.  (I actually talk to the decorations and ornaments when I put them out welcoming them back as old friends - ok, I know that I am a bit looney.”  Maybe send a card with a quick note in it to an old friend you keep meaning to contact. 

Look at the decorations of others and take time to enjoy them.  (Thank goodness, when they finished putting out their Christmas decorations, my neighbors actually finished taking down their holiday decorations - no more witch looking at me - I really enjoy that.)  If there is a drive or walk through light event - especially if you have children - maybe go and see it (and around here I know, help out a good cause). 

Remember those less fortunate then you at this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment