Thursday, November 10, 2016

HOW CAN SOME WEEKS BE SHORTER THAN OTHERS?

Wow, another week gone by already?  It seems too soon.  Again I did not write tonight’s post in advance - the election yesterday took up my attention last night.  No opinion being published on same.  This will be, again, a short post as a result. 

I managed to finish unloading the RV.  We let the remaining water in it out (there is a valve on the bottom with a cap - remove the cap and the water runs out and down the driveway - it is clean water so this is not a problem).  I went in and stripped the bed and disassembled it back into 2 seating benches as I need to clean the bedding, as well as we will be going in and winterizing and will need access under one side of the bed to the water pump.

I dealt with the mail from our short trip - it being the end and beginning of the month there was not much from the 3 days.

We dealt with a telephone problem.  We still have copper wire phone service at our house.  We have a cordless phone with an answering machine in the kitchen.  The last 2 times I talked to my mom on it (and we can go for hours) the battery ran out within an hour.  Husband looked to buy new batteries - discontinued and therefore very expensive.  So a new phone was needed.  Telephones have changed dramatically since we last bought one.  We have an additional problem that the phone hangs on the wall - so we need a wall phone - and the basement door is located across from the phone so it has to be able to open past the phone, and most of the few wall phones with answering machines we found would not allow this.  Luckily we found one, but the cordless phone sits in a separate charger elsewhere in the kitchen.  So far it seems to work well.  I will have to have mom call me - when I call her I use my cell phone.  So a lot of time this week was spent shopping for the new phone and then installing and testing it.

The reason we need one with an answering machine is that we screen our calls.  We tell everyone we know who might call us about this - “When you call me back about this problem, you will get our answering machine.  Leave a message for us; if we are home we will pick up when we hear you or we will call back if we are not home.”  This is a bit of organizing.  Our telephone number is rather similar to a Domino’s pizza (actually several of them, but one more than others), an optician, and a doctor’s office.  In all these cases the last 4 digits are the same and the 3 digits before them are similar when one looks at them and reads the numbers wrong. Add to the wrong numbers for all of these (This is Mrs. Jones, I want a cheese pie - I am timing you.  This is Mrs. Smith don’t tint my eyeglasses.  - would be nice if they left a call back number or an address to deliver the pie) the robocalls and other spam calls we all get and it is a major time saver not to be dealing with the phone calls.  We have 3 answering machines on the same line.  The one in the bedroom answers on the 3rd ring and is always on.  The ones in the office and kitchen are individually turned on and off depending on where we are and answer on the 2nd ring.  This way we can screen the calls in any of the 3 places in the house we generally are.

Managed to finally reach the person at our doctor’s office, so hopefully the problem we are having with the billing on our lab work - last June - will not need more attention.       

Ah, yes, managed to finally convince my husband that the shoes he actually wears should be on his closet shoe rack (on back of door) and the ones on the rack which he does not wear and keeps only because he wears such a hard size to find, in case he ever needs them, should be stored away.  I actually only needed to store away one pair of the shoes on the rack to fit all but the shoes he is wearing and his slippers on it.  This is a discussion which has gone on for years.  Now I can actually clean the floor in the bedroom as I no longer would have to move all the shoes.  Did I clean it?  No - it was a short week.  But I will and will do so more regularly.

Had to spend some time on my embroidery group this week.  I missed the meeting due to our trip last week and had to do some followup on business I missed as a result.

So, the week seems much shorter than it was.  I am now catching up the laundry, which of course, I decided not to do for the part of the week last Wednesday (I do the laundry Wednesday and Thursday nights) so I am doing lots of loads this week.

Hopefully this will be a more organized week and I will get more done.  Don’t you hate short weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment