Thursday, May 4, 2017

BACKING UP COMPUTER FILES SO YOU DON'T USE THEM

I have written before about my regular daily back up of my data and my archiving it at the end of the year.   There is other backing up that I do that I thought I would tell you about.

I was very careful about backing up - day after day - and then I realized I had problem with the data to my organizer.  There was a problem (I forget what by now) and unfortunately both my daily backups (A and B) were bad - for over a week.  Now I had to go and try to figure out what went wrong and when and come up with replacement info about what I had done.  (Remember I use my organizer for appointments, to dos, anniversary/birthdays, my contacts directory and memos - things to buy, info I need, etc.) I managed to get it corrected.  I was lucky that I make a monthly backup on an exterior hard drive.

Once a month I run software to copy my computers to an external hard drive.  The idea is that if my computer hard drive crashes I can restore it quickly and easily.  Of course this sometimes goes awry since one does not know if the backup worked unless and until one needs to use it.  I also copy my data and organizer separately at the same time to the same external hard drive.  So lucky me, I had organizer data from less than a month before to help me catch back up. 

To prevent the loss of data backup from overwriting the backup daily - even with A and B alternating backups - I came up with the idea of - yes - another backup.  I took a flash drive (you can see I love these things) and made a folder - “Backup” and another “Calendar” (meaning everything from the organizer), and another one “client name” for each client.  On a Friday I backed all my data from these assorted sources to this drive.  I call it my weekly drive.  The following Friday I went and added the date of the first backup to the names of the backup files I had made and made new “backup”, “calendar”, and “client’s name” files.  I ran the backups again.  Now I have a backup as of the end of “this” week and one from the end of last week.  If I overwrite the data and backups with the same error - I have a backup from only a week ago.  I kept doing this for 4 weeks.  At then end of 4 weeks I had the latest weekly backups which just had the names of the backups and 3 backups from the prior 3 weeks - each labeled with the date they were backed up.  What then?  Well, I again added the date to last Friday’s backups, but this time I removed the date from the oldest backups - putting them back with their original names and ran an update backup.  This is what I do each week now - add the date to last week’s backups and remove the date from the oldest backups - and update them. 

So now I am backing up my data and calendar daily to flash stick drives (A and B) and then backing up my data weekly to a different flash stick drive, and monthly to an external hard drive, when I back up my computers to same. 

I think, but I am not sure, that I have mentioned I do a backup once a month to still another flash stick drive (and yes, they are very well labeled so I know which is which and what is on them) that also has a copy of my annual archive on it, which I bring to my bank safe deposit box for “offsite” storage.  I used to send this drive to work with husband when he worked in an office which was not in our house.  He would take the drive to work and bring back the one he already had there.  Now I take the one I just updated to the bank box and bring home the one from last time.  The one from last time will be updated just before it goes back to the bank box.

One would think this was enough backups - right?

My external hard drive was getting a bit old (and therefore is rather small).  It suddenly dawned on me that if the external hard drive went bad, I would lose the data and if the computer crashed, well I would be stuck (sort of like when we bought a new internal hard drive due to problems with my old one and the backup had not worked).

So - I bought a new larger drive (the storage was a lot larger, the physical drive only a bit larger).  So now I back up my computer and assorted data onto this drive monthly - and I have new software so hopefully if I need to use it, it will work.  I then backup to the old external hard drive quarterly - just as, well, a backup of the backup.  I work on the idea that more backups make it harder to lose data or computer hard drive.

Now, I know I am backing up way more than anyone short of a major corporation does, but I don’t want to lose my data or my hard drive again. 

Do you back up?   You really need to.  I lose business type data - if you have your photos on the computer you could lose the photos if you lost your drive.  At least get a couple of fairly inexpensive flash drives and make copies in an alternating pattern . 

Oh, another advantage to my keeping my data on flash drives is that they are small.  I can take them from once computer to another - very easily.  I can also put all of my flash drives in the pocket of my jeans - at the same time - if I needed to take them - which leads to -

I have mentioned that I have a grab and go folder for financial stuff - last bank statements, insurance policies, copies of deed, mortgage payoff and car titles, duplicate birth and wedding certificates and such.  I also have a copy of the latest archive on DVD.  If we need to leave the house in an emergency we can grab this folder (actually a sectioned “file wallet” with a top that closes) drop in the lastest data drive and run in an emergency and have as much info with us as we can.  If you have precious photos you can keep a copy of them in there also - DVDs are more definite than flash drives (another reason I keep a lot of backups - flash drives can go bad) and you will not have lost info you need plus personal photos and infos you would miss.  (Remember you can scan in your child’s art work, etc. also.)


THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -
It is May.  While I know the weather is odd this year, we are over a quarter of the way through the year and well onto halfway through the year.  Don’t wait any longer.  Do something towards getting rid of clutter and beginning to organize and clean up. 

Today I had my embroidery chapter meeting.  We have the room until 2 pm.  Most, sometimes all, the other members leave at the end of the program- between noon and 1 pm generally.  I always have some embroidery project (or two) with me.  Today two other members were staying and working on their needlework after the others had left.  I took out one of the projects from my bag and started stitching.  I did not get a lot done as this particular project is a slow one with tiny stitches and one strand of cotton embroidery floss at a time, but I am now that much further along on the project - not even a ful petal of a flower - but I am that tiny bit closer to finishing it. 

Each step you take towards getting organized - throwing even one item out or otherwise getting it out of your house - is a bit less that needs to be done.  Small amounts add to large ones.  There is a quote (I think from Patrick Henry) “I have never seen a man devour an entire bunch of grapes at one time, but I have seen a man accomplish the same thing, by plucking the grapes and eating them one at a time.”  In the same way we cannot accomplish everything needed to declutter, organize, and clean everything at once - but we can do this a bit at a time - so do something as the first step and then tomorrow do something else, and so on.



No comments:

Post a Comment