Thursday, June 6, 2019

A WEEKEND IN THE 18 CENTURY, A LUNCHEON, AND OTHER TIME CONSUMERS

Another week already?

Friday we spent the afternoon with our reenactment unit setting up for a relatively large scale event.  It is one that we started last year.  We invite other units to join us.  We have the use of the restoration village I have spoken about before.  We set up near the building that we interpret at Christmas time a “British army camp - with officers in the building.  In the same general area the “American civilians” (us) are located.  At another restored house that happens to be behind this house on top of a rise, is the “American army”.  To visitors this other house is a quite a distance away on the road, but for our convenience it can be reached by walking through the woods between the two, while not being seen from where we are.  While we are not setting up at the other house, it still takes quite awhile to set up.

Saturday and Sunday was the event - so the entire day - both days - was taken up with the event.  Saturday night we got home and I threw the cups we used during the day (period looking cups are used and we each have/bring our own - ditto dishes, and tablewear, but we had not brought anything other than cups with us Saturday as we were not staying for dinner at night) into the sink and went upstairs to change in modern clothes.  When I got back downstairs the kitchen sink and the counter on either side of it was covered in ants!  I managed to get rid of the ones I saw and washed the cups - as husband’s cup was also covered.  After we had dinner we found more ants.  I had just put the kitchen back together from a prior attack of ants!  So, again, I checked and washed off each item around the sink - such as the dishrack - and stored them on the one small section of counter that is on the other side of the kitchen.  Husband went looking online for what is food safe to get rid of ants.  He found out that one can spray a 3/1 vinegar/water mixtures, let it dry for 30 minutes, blot puddles, and let the rest air dry.  Seems to be working so far.  I have moved items back to the counter top, but still am not using the space.  When I wash dishes I wash and rinse an item, dry it and put it away immediately and then on to the next piece.  It is exhausting.  Oh, and I am using paper towels for washing instead of a sponge or steel wool pad, as I can toss them out after each session of washing.  Sunday not only did we have the event - everything had to be packed afterwards.

I was looking forward to tomorrow, Thursday, when I had nothing to do and could breathe - ha ha!

Monday afternoon, husband decided that we had to get gas for our car, as we had not done so on Sunday as we normally would, and also had to check the oil in the car.  So we drove out to where we go for both, which took most of the afternoon.  When we got home we went through the stuff we brought back from the reenactment and I had put in closed plastic bags and checked it for ants - only found one. 

Tuesday we ran some home errands - shopping and such and also bought some deli turkey for me to make light sandwiches to bring today to my embroidery chapter for our annual luncheon meeting.  Everyone makes some sort of salad, I can’t eat salad unless I know that I am going home right after, so I bring the sandwiches so I have something to eat.  We discuss what we want to do next year (September to June) at our meetings and any regular business.  I had planned to run a lot errands as I won’t have a day out alone again until September.  I realized on my way back from the meeting today, Wednesday, I had forgotten to bring the soda bottles to put in for recycling - 5 months worth!  Oh, well.  I did our banking and the banking for the embroidery chapter. 

Oh, I also had forgotten that I did have to send a list of members to our region and had planned to do it Thursday (tomorrow) when I would have a chance to breathe - but....  my sister contacted me and needs me to go to my mom on Thursday as she cannot go then.  She has been visiting mom just about every day even when the rest of us are going also, so I could not say no.  I managed to get the list out by email yesterday. 

Monday night after husband fell asleep I heard a chirping - I presumed it was the downstairs smoke detector (upstairs is a 10 year detector) and figured they usually chirp for a couple of days so we would take care of it Tuesday.  I heard it again Tuesday morning, but then it stopped.  Husband went crazy trying to figure out which device was beeping as they all tested fine.  He decided it was a telephone in the office and we bought a new one - but that one still works fine.  (New one will be returned.)  This morning I heard the chirping again and Robert heard it also.  While I was out today he figured out that it was the smoke detector downstairs and replaced the battery. 

Oh, and Friday he is planning a trip to Pennsylvania - if it finally does not rain on a Friday this week.  (Well, last Friday it did not rain, but we did have the event to set up.)

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK -
                   
Again, one must take life a day at a time.  I know that at some point this craziness will stop and I will be able to catch up - okay, in the back of my head I realize life may remain this crazy for ever, but I sure hope not!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who continue to get this horrible weather and are in much worse a situation that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment