Thursday, February 13, 2020

REORGANIZING AND CLEARING OUT THE LINEN CLOSET

That was a short week!

I am starting a new project.  We have a linen closet in our upstairs hall.  We keep what I presume is normal stuff in it – towels, bed linens, cleaning supplies, band aids + related, spare shampoo, spare soap, spare Diabetic supplies, and the like.  It had been fairly well organized, but suddenly it just doesn't work any longer.  This is not a large closet – similar to our other closets – about 2 feet across and a little less in depth.  It is one of our closets that has the roof line coming down through the ceiling so the ceiling is not flat.

Mostly the problem is in the towels – somehow they no longer seem to fit.  I started looking through them to try to figure what the problem is.  I remembered that we have 2 bath sheets with our name embroidered on them.  When we were first married a local store was doing the embroidery and it was something that “everyone” was doing.  The towels are also red  (white embroidery) which is not my favorite color.  These two towels are on the shelf below our other towels and behind the spare mattress cover.  I pulled the towels out for now I will bag them (in clear bag so I know what it is in it) and store, if they fit, on the top shelf of the closet – in the back of same. 

We have too many of our other bath sized towels also.  I figure if I keep 4 of the bath size and 2 each of the size each of us uses for our hair plus 2 towels for the top of the cart in the bathroom (we have no counter and made the cart instead) where they can be reached and store the rest of the towels away – and one set of each will be in use and one set stored.  In case you were wondering – husband likes a towel on top of the cart so if he drops anything – on them nothing will break – he tends to drop a lot of things lately.

I will refold the larger towels in thirds so I can get 4 rows of towels on the shelf.  I have been rolling the hand towels and will continue to do so – I will keep all of them available as I change them twice a week and have 5 sets in each bathroom (downstairs half bathroom has its towels in the cabinet under the sink there). 

We have set of wire small shelves that hangs inside the door of this closet to hold bottles and things. I am going to go through the assortment of started and upstarted shampoos and lotions on the shelves and get rid of them.  That will allow us to store some of other things on the shelves more safely – we both get hit in the head by bandaid packages that are stacked on each other above the height of the front of the shelves and fall on us.  I am sure that there a lot of other items on these shelves that can be tossed out. 

I might even find a place to hang the roll paper towels which wanders around in this closet.  I have gone through the top shelf (where the extra towels will go) before and gotten rid of excess items from up there but I am sure that there are more items to get rid.

Other than the top shelf, towel shelf, and bedding shelf I have a half depth shelf below them which holds cleaning supplies.  The bottom of the closet is where our laundry hangs (off the half depth shelf above it) and where we keep spare toilet paper and boxes of tissues.  I also have 4 wire hanging shelves.  Two of them hang from the bedding shelf.  One has our spare pillow cases and the other has older spare pillowcases – just in case they are needed.  We do have a single bed in the spare bedroom and some of these spare pillow cases are for it (bed has sheets on it and spare blanket for it would be one of the twin bed blankets we use in the RV and in winter in our bed for extra warmth).  The other two hanging shelves hold spare medical items and small items – which hopefully will fit in the shelves on the inside of the door.

THOUGHT OF THE WEEK -
Try to find a small area to work on – especially if it is one that you know has stuff you can get rid of.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL OF YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment