Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Organizing books don't work for me.

How about a bit on organizing books and how I have found they don’t relate to me?  Do you find this to be true?

I have read my way through all sorts of books on organizing, decluttering, etc.  I have found that none of them really seem to apply to me and my situation.  I am guessing this is true for many people.                         

My house must be the smallest one there is.  For example, my bathroom is, according to several organizing books, smaller than the average closet.  It has no counter, one small drawer at the bottom of the cabinet, no room for permanent storage to be added to the bathroom.  It has a cabinet and sink so small, that when we went to replace them to the current ones we have, we had a choice of almost no sinks or vanities.  The ones on display in various stores did not fit into our bathroom.  And this is our larger bathroom!  This is far from the extensive bathrooms described in books. 

Front entrance hall? Another example.  Just about every organizing book I have read has an extensive section on the front entrance hall of the house.  The latest book I have read talked about what needs to be in the front entrance hall.  Maybe it would all fit in Downton Abbey’s entrance hall, but not in my front entrance hall.  There is a small closet.  There is a small mirror on one side of the front door and the door bell mechanism on the other side.  There is no room for a shelf or piece of furniture. With either one will not be able to walk through this tiny space.  Even more unlike the description of this room in books, we do not come into the house through it.  Our kitchen door is immediately adjacent to our driveway and much more convenient so that is what is used.  There is no mud room or other room when one enters through the kitchen.  When one walks in, one is between the stove and the counter.  No place for items waiting to go out (unless they are hung on the door knob), keys, shelves, storage etc. 

Alternate ideas had to be found and they were found more by logic than by suggestions from books - this is an important idea one must use logic in organizing.

Next week, I will tell you how I got started trying to get organized and my early efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment