Thursday, December 17, 2015

DECORATING FOR CHRISTMAS - PART 2

Well in the last week I have managed to put out most of the Christmas decorations that go inside the house.  I have learned over the years the order that the decorations have to be placed in - as well as the order they have to come down for storage. The decorations, their storage, placement, etc. need to be organized almost more than the house in general does or it will take too much time to put out and put away.  I also have a system for storing the empty boxes in the basement (where they are not stored during the year), but it all depends on everything being done in the right order - putting up the decorations and taking them down.  The trees are put up last and taken down first.             

Our dining room is decorated, sort of, colonial.  This means that the decorations are greens (plastic ones) and some bows.  Decorating for the holiday was much simpler then.  The decorations were natural - a few bits of greens, not many of them.  We put small pieces of greens on the corners of picture frames, on the colonial style brass light fixture - with red bows, and a small wreath.  There is a (fake) garland of greens on the front window.  In a bowl on the dining room table I have some fake red berries in a bowl - they just look nice.  Some candles and a small nativity my husband made decades ago finish the room.

The entryway also has a few small (fake) greens and a small glass Moravian star.  I wrap the bottom section of our staircase with a (again, fake)garland of greens with red bows at the ends and in the middle.

The living room on the other hand, there is a bit much.  There is a 3 piece teddy bear bell band which plays carols, 2 Christmas stocking holders waiting for stockings, 2 angels holding lights on a table, Lego Christmas figures - Santas, elves, snowman, soldier, a snowman I made years ago from a sock, and a santa my husband made, also decades ago, from paper.  To be added to this after the tree is at least set up, will be an assortment of elves, Santas, and angels, ranging in size from about 3 inches tall to about 3 feet tall - the larger ones were gifts - they will stand together by the door to greet us when we walk in.  I also will put out a Christmas pillow with embroideries (by me) on each side, a green garland across the back windows with a teddy bear Christmas picture (also embroidered by me) across the 2 back windows, and a Mrs.Rudolph Reindeer doll I made will sit comfortably in a chair.  We usually put out 2 stockings each for us - one to use and one I embroidered for each of us.  There are also some small stockings with (yes, again) plastic candy canes in them that we put out for show with the names of some of my dolls on them.  A beaded tree I made once.  Then at some point the trees will be done. 
                           
Our studio - behind the kitchen - has a small tree waiting to be decorated.  It will get items we have made over the years.

Even the kitchen takes a hit and gets decorated - I change the decorative potholders (as opposed to the ones I use) to Christmas ones (yes, teddy bears again) and I put a few pairs of Christmas teddy bear salt and pepper shakers joined by a pair of Christmas tree ones. 

Strangely after I set all this up - and it took part of 2 days as I didn’t have a lot of time either day to work - it seemed to me as if I waved my arms and it all appeared and sorted itself out..  Unfortunately when January comes and it all has to be put away, it will seem like much more work.             

I suppose I should mention to explain some of the items mentioned above, though I planned/plan to write about these matters later and the organizing problems they cause. We have several hobbies.  First, we are both craftspeople.  We work in variety of media at an assortment of crafts.  My first love is hand embroidery and I make dolls and sew also.  My husband works in wood, leather, paper and also sews, and makes dolls and I am sure I left out some of his crafts.  Secondly, if it is not obvious, I collect teddy bears - stuffed ones, figurines, and ones of assorted materials such as coal, glass, wood...  Lastly  - and the oddest of the hobbies - we are 1770's (late American colonial period) reenactors.  It is a period that we both like and it affects how we decorated the house - more or less.

By this time next week I hope to have the 3 downstairs trees (main, studio and one - new this year - with brass ornaments collected over the years from Colonial Williamsburg) finished. If I am lucky I will also have the teddy bear village that goes at the top of the stairs and the Christmas tree that goes with it done also - but generally I am working on the bear village/tree on Christmas Eve and sometimes also on Christmas Day.

Do you have something special you set up every year and Christmas would not be Christmas without it?  Have you found ideas that help speed up the process of decorating and undecorating or a better way to decorate?

No comments:

Post a Comment