Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID 19 #4 - MAIL, FOOD AND HOLIDAY WISHES

Well another week in the house in the house due to COVID 19.  Other than walking out our side door (through a small porch) 3 days a week to take in the mail from the box at our front door, we have not been out of the house in an evening short of 2 weeks.  Not as bad as one would think, I have been catching up work and in email contact with some friends from college as we check on each and say happy birthday/ happy anniversary as we have had several of same among us these past few weeks.  Also found that a friend with cancer has successfully completed her treatment.  A friend had COVID 19, luckily a mild case, and is recuperating.  My sister told me that a family of our (adult) cousins also has same – but are doing well.  So – knock on wood – we are doing okay.

Husband has become terrified of going to the Post Office to mail out items – work I have done and has to go to clients, paid bills, etc. - as the community where the Post Office is located has one of the higher COVID 19 counts in the county - even though I would only be only throwing it in the mail collection box in front of it.  I telephoned our local Post Office (I think I have explained that the Post Office which serves our home is considerably further away than 2 others – one of which is where we have our box) and asked and, yes, one can still leave mail in one's home mail box for the postal delivery person to pickup when they deliver your mail.  So, our bill payments are sitting in the clip on the small door through which our mail is delivered for it to be (hopefully) picked up tomorrow.  The clip is there for this purpose and we have the flag up on the box.  Unfortunately this only works with regular #10 envelope sized mail with our box.  We have two items that are in 6 inch by 9 inch envelopes which do not fit in the clip, so at some point we will have to go to at least a mail box to mail them.  They are not bills and not as urgent, so we are okay with waiting to send them out. The funny thing is that I used these two envelopes for these items as I was afraid that they would be too thick in a regular envelope to fit in the new thin deposit slits in the mail boxes.


Tonight my husband went downstairs for something. He noticed a plastic box on the shelves in the basement with food cans in it – our old emergency food supplies. He said he hoped I had not let the food go past date. I went downstairs afterward to look – I knew it all had to be past date as I had not bought new drinking water since I stopped cooking for our reenctment unit. (I had to buy bottle water for them also, so I would rotate ours into what I used for them and put the new water bought for them, in as our supply just to keep ours from getting old which I why I say this.)

I managed to get the box off the shelf and out – it was heavy and I was afraid of dropping of it, but did not. I put it on a table in the basement and opened it. Apparently it has been over 15 years since we bought emergency food supplies and stored it – a couple of years old and I would be using them – but 15 years?!. Perfectly good looking cans – but much too old to even think of eating – what a waste. If you have similar emergency food supplies be sure to check them and rotate them before they are too old to eat.

I know a lot of you are going through a lot right now.  How are YOU handling all everything to keep your home and family running?  Any suggestions or tips for the rest of us?

THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK -

I want to wish you a Happy Easter and/or a Happy Passover – the holidays might be very different than  usual this year – but they are still are special.  In future years these holidays will be looked back on and remembered for how you and yours managed to get through it.  For some they might not be happy memories, perhaps even tragic, for others the memories will be better – even funny.  All of the memories though will remind us of what can we can do when we need to and that we can survive. 

My best wishes for all of you and your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment