Thursday, September 23, 2021

SORRY TO MISS A POST AGAIN - DEALING WITH RUNNING ERRANDS UNDER COVID

 My apologies for missing last week's post.  The night I was to write and post was the start of the holiest day of the Jewish year and I could not do so, the following day is the main day of the holiday so I could not do so that day either.  (Writing and turning on/off electrical devices of any kind are among the things not allowed during the holiday.)

The days after were taken up with a problem in switching our business bank account. We went in Wednesday (before the evening when the holiday would start) to open an account at a credit union we use.  I had telephoned first due to the pandemic to see if we needed and appointment.  The main office said we did not and told me items I needed to bring to open the account.  When we went in on Wednesday we were told – and there were signs around – that an appointment was needed to see one of the “platform people” (did you know that what the people at the desks are called).  We had to go home and made an appointment as they were fully booked or else they would have accommodated us.  I went home and made the appointment for Friday – after the holiday. Oh, and the list of what I needed to bring was missing some items from the printed list I was handed while in the credit on Wednesday.

Thursday night after the holiday I put the needed paperwork and also some other items for us to deal with while at the credit union – such as two deposits to go into the new account when opened and paperwork to make an IRA withdrawal to transfer money to our personal bank account elsewhere.  (I am not working or getting paid as I normally would as I am not going to clients.)  We spent Friday going to the credit union and then the bank.  Friday night I realized the credit union employee never did give us starter checks for the account, so I cannot order any. Luckily it is rare these days we use the account so when we get our ATM cards and go in to pick PIN numbers we will ask for the checks.  

And so between these larger matters and the smaller matters of every day – a week passed and I realized that I had not posted – again, my apologies.  

THOUGHT OF THE (TWO) WEEK(S) -

Try to group your errands outside the house.  It makes no sense to go to the same place (whether it during the current pandemic or in normal times) more than once if you can go there once and do everything you need to do.  (When we went to the credit union I did transactions for us, our business, and for our reenactment unit in the same trip and then went to a branch of our bank about 3 blocks away to save time out running errands.)  

Similarly if we are going to do something in the community “L” and eating lunch out – we eat lunch in the community “L” and not at the location nearer us  - but not in that direction – where we prefer to eat lunch.  Saves time and we will look for any other things we need to do that we can do while in that community/area.  

The supermarket we are currently using for most of our grocery trips has a Home Depot across the street.  It is not a Home Depot we particularly like as it is small and in an older store (a small Kmart) they took over so nothing is located anywhere that makes sense, but it saves time to go there as it so close to the supermarket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment